Saturday, March 17, 2012

Something to think on...

For my Cheerleaders who are also on the same journey as myself...

One thing you may be facing as I am, is that you want to look nice and put together yet, you find your wallet just can't accommodate such drastic changes in your wardrobe.  You don't want to go out in sweats all the time (a hold over from being bigger and trying to hide that nasty fact...doesn't work) and you want to be stylish, yet how do you do it without busting your budget?

I will say up front that I am spoiled, where I live we have a number of consignment shops that cater to the plus sized woman.  Just in case you don't know what a consignment shop is, I'll explain.

A consignment shop is where you take your gently used clothing and the shop sells it for you on your behalf and you get a portion of the sale (usually it's a 60/40 split) so if you take in a pair of jeans and the shop sells them for, say $10.00, the shop gets $6.00 and you get $4.00 (or the other way around, just depends on how the shop has it set up) and if you're really lucky, you can get store credit at a higher price (say store credit for $5.00 instead....so you can shop in the store for what you just sold) so it just depends on how the store owner has their personal policies in place.

Some stores will have it set up that if after a month the items don't sell you can come back and pick them up and be on your way or you can sell them to the store for a flat rate.  Again, it just depends on the store.  For some stores they will buy the clothing outright and resell them at a marked up price (think Plato's Closet) which is fine, but I think you probably don't make as much on the clothing.  However we're talking about purchasing here, not selling.  Although, keep the selling in mind, we'll get back to that.

What I've been so fortunate for is that where I live, there is one of these shops and I've established a rapport with the owners.  As it turns out, The Wonder One used to work with the owners' husband many years ago!  Talk about your small worlds, eh? lol  They both (the owner and her husband) are very honest and forthright and helpful.  If you ask for their honest opinion, they'll give it to you.  If you don't want to know the truth, don't ask them!  The great thing is, I've gone in there with $30.00 in my pocket and walked out with a darn near full wardrobe!  The selection is and always has been great.  So I would recommend looking in the yellow pages (yes, an actual phone book) to see what you have in your area and frequent the shop.  You'll be amazed at what you find.  The best part?

As you lose weight on your journey, you can take your gently used, well cared for items BACK to the shop to resell and repurchase other smaller items.  It's what I've done.  I've also bought some very nice leather winter coats there as well, so don't rule it out.  My style is such that I'm not into overly trendy clothes as it is, and when I go to buy clothes I look for clothes that don't scream a specific time period.  That way the clothes can stand the test of time and can be worn for many years, either by you, or others who would maybe purchase them after you.

Just something for you to think on Cheerleaders. 

Hope it helps.

1 comment:

  1. I love consignment shops, thrift stores, and junkyards. Saving money by shopping in those places is great, but that's not the only good part. I try to be green as much I can, mostly through recycling, and shopping in those places is just another form of recycling. I enjoy being able to find value in something someone else threw away.

    ReplyDelete